Thursday 20 December 2012

InDesign Magazine Double Paged Spread

To further my development of my InDesign skills I have created a magazine double page spread. I have used many techniques and rules in order to make the double page spread jump out and attract the attention of the customer.

The first rule that I applied to the magazine is the rule of three. Using the rule of three attracts the customer as consumers are always attracted to groups of three, and if I have this in my magazine it will attract attention. Placing three images together makes the magazine look attractive, using three images match the design of the magazine as the magazine features three columns on each page. Using three columns attract to customers who are in a socioeconomic group of B, C1 and C2 as columns of three make the magazine look like it is important.

Next I had to make sure the magazine double page spread has a 3D effect feel. Creating a 3D effect is essential as it makes the page look like it has life and jump out at the customer. If the page looked flat, the magazine would look boring and would not attract the customer. In order to make my page look 3D, I have added a drop shadow onto my images. This adds a 3D effect to the magazine as images look like they have been lifted from the page. I have also overlapped the images. This created a 3D effect as it makes the page look full of life as the page does not look flat.

I also added effects to my images. The effect that I used is called the Polaroid effect. This is when a white background is grouped with an image to make the image hold a boarder. Creating a Polaroid effect makes images jump out on the page, this an advantage as it will attract the customer. To do this I created a white box that was slightly larger than the image. I then changed the box colour to white and sent it to the back. Sending the image to the back makes the white box move behind the image, making a white boarder effect. I then grouped the objects together using (ctrl+G), by doing this it groups both the image and the boarder together so I can move the two objects in sync. After I grouped the images I then re-sized and arranged the images ready to be used in the magazine.

Furthermore, I used the rotation tool. I used the rotation tool to rotate images on my page. Rotating images in a certain direction gives the magazine a new feel. Rotating images to the right makes the feel of the reader move on and look to the right of the page. This is essential as there is more of the magazine on the right hand side. If the images were pointing to the left, the reader would be guided left, this is not good as the reader's attention should be focused with the flow of text, which is from left to right. Rotating images is an essential feature in magazine design as it adds character to the double page spread.

Another effect that I added to the double page spread was a background. Adding a subtle background is an advantage as it adds character to the page and also makes the page look 3D. Adding a subtle background attracts the customer as the magazine looks attractive and adds character. If I had not added a background into my magazine, the magazine would look plain and unattractive. Customers are not attracted to plain media, therefore I have to add features, such as a background to attract the target audience. To make a background I first looked on the internet for a suitable image, I then saved the image onto my computer. To insert the image into InDesign I went to file, and then place and moved the image to behind text to create a background.

As InDesign has not been created to edit and design media such as mastheads, I used Photoshop. I have used Photoshop to create my masthead "Disabilities and the Media" because Photoshop allows me to create a unique style font and add many effects to make the masthead attractive. To create my masthead I first opened Photoshop. I set the page up to an ideal size and made sure the background of the document was set to transparent. Setting the background to transparent allows me to use the masthead in another document without a white background around the text. I then added appropriate text and colour to the document. I cropped the image using the cropping tool to ensure space around the text is kept to a minimum. To ensure that the background stayed transparent, I saved the masthead as a PNG 24. Saving the image as a PNG 24 removes all background colour, ready to be used in my magazine.

As you can see from the screenshot above, I have created a ripped text effect in the article above. As you can see the 'ripped' paper has statistics about disability. To create the ripped paper effect, I first saved the paper image into Photoshop. I then selected an eraser brush that looked jagged and selected an appropriate brush size. I then went around the paper image and created a ripped style effect. I then exported the image and placed it into InDesign.

To ensure that my magazine looks professional, I ensured that the text within the article was sized 10. This is essential as size 10pt is not too small to read and is large enough to attract the customer. If I sized the text at 12pt, the text would not all fit inside the article.

The last effects that I used in the magazine was basic and advanced text wrapping. Basic text wrapping allows me to cut and edit text, for example text boxes. Advanced text wrapping allows me to shape text around images. Using these features make the article look attractive and meet the needs of the customer. If I had not applied basic and advanced text wrapping, the article would look boring and plain.





No comments:

Post a Comment